OPEN KAYAK PADDLING PROGRAM Kayaking in Jamaica Bay
Open Kayak Paddling Program 2014
Saturdays, 9:30 AM and Wednesdays, 5:30 PM
starting 5/28/14* through 8/30/14,
*EXCEPT on Saturday, 5/31
there will be NO Open Paddle
Description . When . Cancellation
of Trips . Your Health . Safety . What
to Bring Directions . Questions
- These paddling trips are guided group kayak trips launching from the dock of the Sebago Canoe Club on Paerdegat Basin into the adjacent waters of Jamaica Bay (Gateway National Park).
- This paddle program (boats, equipment and trained leaders) are FREE-OF-CHARGE (AN INSURANCE FEE WILL BE COLLECTED, SEE BELOW) to participants 16 yrs and older. Due to insurance regulations, no one under 16 yrs old will be permitted on trips. A parent must accompany participants 16-18 yrs old.
- After the paddle, we ask that you fill out a 1-page feedback form. You do not have to give ANY personal information.
- Sebago Canoe Club will COLLECT a $10.00 mandatory insurance fee. This fee is sent directly to the insurance company. No one may participate in this program without the Insurance Waiver being signed.
- Space is limited. Boats and equipment are on a first come first served basis. We do not take reservations. (see below for start times).
Many trips will feature guest lecturers who will accompany the paddlers and speak on environmental issues and other topics of interest. The list of guest lecturers will be posted here as they are confirmed.
- In order to accommodate the large number of people who are interested in the Open Paddle program, we request that you participate no more than 3 times. If you are still interested in kayaking after your participation in these paddles you can join the club for a reasonable membership fee.
- Participants are expected to help carry boats and equipment from the storage facilities to the dock and help wash and store all boats and equipment on their return.
- Open Paddles take place (weather permitting) on Wednesday evenings
and Saturday mornings from May 28 until September 9, 2011. Trips may be
cancelled due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Punctuality is important so in order to secure your spot on an open paddle
be sure to arrive at the Sebago grounds on time. On Saturday mornings take
a spot in line at the club gates before 9:30am. At 9:30am sharp we will
open the gates and receive participants on a first-come first-served basis.
On Wednesday evenings please enter the grounds and line up in front of the
clubhouse. At 5:30pm sharp we will receive participants on a first-come
first-served basis. If you are anticipating arriving more than 10 minutes
late please choose another day or evening paddle to attend.
- Paddles include approximately 30-min. introduction on land and paddling excursions can last up to 2-hrs.
- Wednesday evening paddles are shorter and will return to the dock before it is dark.
Cancellation of Trips
- Trips may be cancelled or modified due to weather conditions, water conditions, or for safety reasons. The trip leader has COMPLETE Authority over the trip and SAFETY of all participants is paramount.
- Participants can be from 16 to 80 yrs old. However, you must realize that you do need to be in good physical shape to help carry your boat and equipment to the dock and back.
- You must be physically able to sit in an enclosed boat and paddle for a 2 hr period.
- Persons with physical disabilities should contact the Open Paddle coordinator BEFORE you arrive for a paddle.
- If you have any health concerns please contact the Paddle coordinator BEFORE you arrive for a paddle
- Volunteer Trip Leaders and Assistants have taken certified courses in kayaking and leadership.
- Trip Leaders have taken and passed additional kayak rescue classes. Trip Leaders and Assistants carry VHF radios in case of emergencies.
- Trips leaders have complete authority over all trips and may exclude any individual as they see fit. Please keep in mind that during these paddles you will be operating as part of a group under the direction of the leaders.
- You must sign a standard American Canoe Association Insurance Waiver.
- Lifejackets must be worn at all times.
- Competent swimming skills are encouraged but not required, you should at a minimum be comfortable in the water. The boats used are all wide recreational kayaks designed for beginners but there is always a chance of falling into the water.
- Participants should be in good physical condition, as they will be required to paddle for 2 hours. If you have any health concerns please contact the Paddle coordinator BEFORE you arrive for a paddle.
- Please inform the Trip Leader BEFORE you leave the dock if you have any health or safety concerns.
What to Bring
- Dress appropriately for the day. Sebago suggests that all participants wear sneakers and clothes that can get wet and that they bring a set of dry clothes to change into after the paddle. There are lockers available to leave your dry clothes, keys and wallet. Please bring your own small locker size lock.
- The water in June is still cold and it is suggested that long pants and a long sleeve top be worn, clothes that are breathable and NOT COTTON are recommended. Please bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, a bottle of water and an energy snack. Please eat something and drink at least 8 oz of water before you arrive in order to be fueled for the trip. Snacks can be left in the refrigerator (please mark your name on the bag) at the club or taken with you on the paddle.
- Sebago will not be responsible for the loss of any items. Please leave your valuables at home.
- There are no shower facilities available and restrooms consist of Porta-Sans on the property. Drinking water is available in the clubhouse.
- Free parking is available on the street outside the club.
- Public transportation is close by but will require you to take a bus or walk. Car services are available at the subway station and will pick you up at Sebago and take you to the subway for a nominal cost.
- Click here for Directions by car or public transportation.
Questions? If you have any questions that were not addressed here, please contact us and the paddle coordinator or a representative from the club will contact you.